Those managing business online may know the importance of sending an email as a text message or vice versa. However, most email services you use don’t have a feature to send text messages.
Now you may ask, why would one want to send a text message from Gmail? Sending SMS from Gmail could be helpful in many situations; for example, it is more comfortable to type out a message on a computer keyboard than a phone.
Second, you can send a message to yourself to remind something. Whatever it is, Gmail allows you to send a text message in easy steps. Hence, if you want to send a text message from Gmail, continue reading the guide.
Send Text Messages from Gmail
You just need access to your desktop web browser to send a text message from Gmail. Follow some of the simple steps we have shared below to send an email as an SMS or vice versa.
Sending a text from Gmail may sound strange, but there are several reasons you may want to do so:
Send Text Messages from the Gmail app
If you have the Gmail app installed on your smartphone, you can follow these steps to send an SMS from Gmail easily. Here’s what you need to do.
1. First, open the Gmail app on your Android or iPhone.
2. When the Gmail app opens, tap the Compose button at the bottom right corner.
3. Now, start writing the message in the email body.
4. After writing the email body, tap on the “To” field and enter the 10-digit phone number, followed by @[gatewaydomain] you wish to send your email as an SMS.
5. For example, if the recipient’s phone number is 0123456789, and they are with AT&T, you must enter [email protected] on the ‘To’ field.
6. Once done, tap the Send button to send your email as a text message.
That’s it! The recipient will receive your email in their SMS Inbox.
How To Send Text Messages on Gmail Using Third-Party Apps?
- One of the apps you can use is TextMagic.
- Create an account on TextMagic and navigate to Services from the left menu.
- Click the Email to SMS page.
- Then click Add Allowed Email and enter your Gmail address.
- And now you can send text messages through Gmail.
How To Send Someone Text on Gmail Using Computer?
- Go to Gmail.com.
- Then click on New Chat from the chat section.
- Enter the name, and email address of the person you want to send a message to.
- To message more than two people, click on Group Message.
- Tap on Compose and Create your message and then hit Send.
How to Use Gmail to Receive Text Messages?
If you wish to receive an SMS on your Gmail, you need to send an email as a text message from your smartphone.
You just need to know the email address of the recipient. Once you know their email address, you can use the SMS app of your smartphone to send messages to their email inbox.
1. First, open the SMS app on your Android smartphone.
2. Write the message you want to send as an email.
3. Next, tap on the ‘To‘ field at the top and enter the Gmail address of the recipient. You need to enter the Gmail address instead of the phone number.
4. Once done, tap on the Send button.
That’s it! The recipient would receive your message in their Gmail inbox.
Send SMS from Gmail using the Email to Text add-on
Our shared method doesn’t require any subscription or additional app installation. However, it will only work with the numbers whose SMS Gateway domain you know.
And finding the correct SMS gateway is itself a complicated process. So, if you avoid all such messes and looking for an easier way out, consider using the Email to Text Gmail add-on.
The Email to Text add-on allows you to send SMS messages from a computer or a mobile device using Gmail. However, the add-on only works with the US and Canada phone numbers.
Email to Text add-onEmail to Text add-on
- Install the Email to text add-on.
- Now open Gmail and compose a new email you want to send as an SMS.
- Click on the ‘Email to Text’ icon at the bottom of the draft window.
- Next, add the phone number from Google Contacts or a new one.
- Once done, click the ‘Send’ button to send the email as an SMS.
Can I send a text message from Gmail?
Yes, you can. There are three ways to send a text from Gmail: the SMS gateway, a Third-Party Service, or a Chrome Extension. Read the article above to determine which method you want to use, and how.
Is it possible to send text messages to non-Gmail users from my Gmail account?
Yes, you can send a text to any Gmail or non-Gmail user using a ten-digit phone number.
Can I send mass text messages from Gmail?
You can send mass text messages from Gmail. However, you’ll want to use a third party app or Chrome extension. Read sections 2 and 3 above and follow the instructions to send mass texts in Gmail.